Tuesday 17 August 2021

That old familiar ache...

Another class last night. Our Teacher is putting a lot of effort into helping us understand the transition from fixed step, through link step to continuous step.

This year, we missed out on the usually annual trip of our lineage holder to do seminars around the world. The Manchester seminar is usually very well attended and full of excellent tuition and displays of incredible skill. However, due to the travel restrictions, this year's seminars have had to be cancelled. Hopefully, Luo Laoshi will be able to hold a seminar next year - and that is something for which I intend to prepare myself.#

While it is quite high-level, both in terms of concept and skill, if I can go some way toward improving my continuous step, I feel this will put me in good stead to learn the most from the seminar. Luo Laoshi is always very generous.

I remember, when training in the mid-90s, things were very different. A seminar would consist of several classes from one school all training together in one hall. The lineage holder would walk in, speak to the senior instructor then look out over the class for perhaps a couple of minutes before nodding, "Good" and then leaving. That's no real reflection on that particular lineage holder, who is still teaching today. It is mostly just how things were done back then.

The first seminar I attended with Luo Laoshi had me almost aghast. Not only did he personally lead the class, but also took time to improve my technique and even demonstrating on me. So different and much more personable than those previous seminars to which I'd been accustomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment