Thursday 30 June 2022

Passed down the generations - A love of chop sockey movies and Asian cinema

Nope, this isn't yet another post about martial arts lineages and authentic kung fu schools. It is simply about my love of cheesy Chop Sockey movies. As my daughter is now 11 and already has an interest in all things anime, I'm wondering if now is the time to try to pique her interest in the old school martial art movies that I so loved in my teens and 20s.

Back when VHS was king, I used to have a huge collection of such movies, and Hong Kong cinema in general. I was lucky enough to have a couple of friends who were also into such movies and we would swap recommendations all the time. So many conversations rattled on arguing who was the best oriental action star and which director's films were coolest.

Maybe I need to start by building up our DVD collection once again. There are a few good movies on various streaming services, but nowhere near enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment