Wednesday 28 December 2011

On the first day of Yuletide, my true love gave to me...

PRODUCT REVIEW

A 250Hz (Blue) Power Ball exercise device
You’ve probably seen these before or heard about them somewhere.  The gyroscopic balls that you hold in your hand/keep rotating and they strengthen your grip/hand/forearm et cetera.

Well, I got my hands on one (if you’ll pardon the expression) and have had a few days to see what’s what with the thing.

There is something of a knack in getting the gyroscope going and keeping it up to speed.  Once the rhythm is found, though, it provides good, low impact exercise for the lower arms.  I got the sensation that the device was working my whole forearm, not just targeted muscle groups, so this should compliment my Baguazhang training very well indeed.

The device comes with instructions on a CD-ROM, no hard copy was included in the box, though that was not too much of a problem.  Once I had the hang of it I managed to keep it going without even referring to the reference material.  The box claims the device is useful for a wide range of sports and activites and that it is also valuable to aid recuperation from carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis and other ailments.

Different grades of powerball are available, this review is for the 250Hz version, but stronger devices are available.  I would recommend starting with this level at first, though, as I imagine this is probably best to aid in learning the knack required to get the most from the device.

Fifteen pounds (£15.00) is an acceptable pricetag when compared to prices for other sports training equipment, especially considering the comprehensive workout your forearms will go through if this is incorporated into your regular training regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment