Wednesday 21 November 2012

Internal MA 'Epiphanies'.

One thing my Bagua instructor warned me about, almost immediately upon my resuming my MA training, was regarding the progress curve.  External martial arts, he said, has a pretty slow but steady rate of improvement during which you get steadily better and better over time.

Internal martial arts, he said, are different.  You train for ages without really feeling you get anywhere.  Then, all of a sudden, WHAM!  There's a big(-gish) leap in your understanding and ability.  I had one of those epiphanies, I think, during Friday's class.

All of a sudden, something he said (I forget precisely what just now) just resonated with me and I found it much easier to give my stance structure - more strength and structure than I'd had before, to be honest.

I did, however, find that a day out walking around in the cold on the Saturday made me feel like I'd injured myself.  Really, I think a combination of an overworked muscle group and the cold weather made me feel a few aches and pains for some days aferward.

That said, I am better now - so back to full training again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment