Wednesday 30 April 2014

Celebrity Black Belts

Originally reported at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/worldfolkandjazz/10794872/Willie-Nelson-gets-5th-degree-black-belt-at-81.html


Willie Nelson gets 5th-degree black belt at 81 Country music legend Willie Nelson earns his fifth-degree black belt in the martial art of Gong Kwon Yu Sul at the age of 81


Willie Nelson, who is 81 today, is certainly not letting the grass grow under his feet. The country singer has just received his fifth-degree black belt in the martial art of Gong Kwon Yu Sul.

"Honestly, I was surprised to be getting this degree," Nelson told AP. "I don't know what else is out there. I never thought about anything beyond second-degree black belt."

In a ceremony in Austin, Texas, watched by resident Lance Armstrong, Grand Master Sam Um, who has taught Nelson for two decades, handed him his belt and joked: "He has more stamina than I do."

Nelson added: "I'm pretty healthy at 81. I think a lot of it has to do with the exercise that you do. I think martial arts is one of the best exercises you can do. Mentally, spiritually, physically, everything. I'm sure that's helped."

At the weekend, Oscar winner and fellow Texan Matthew McConaughey inducted Nelson into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame at a blowout concert. He will be playing a special birthday concert at Austin's Backyard arena this evening.

Nelson has been interested in martial arts for some time, telling me in an interview in December 2012: "I have always been interested in keeping fit and doing boxing and wrestling. As a youngster, I loved Charles Atlas, Bruce Lee and Kung Fu. But when I lived in Nashville I switched to doing Taekwondo. Last year, at the age of 78, I got my second degree black belt. And singing is the best exercise – two hours a day will keep you in pretty good shape. I think it's very important to learn from your own body. It doesn't lie to you. If it feels good, do it. If it don't feel good, don't do it."


No comments:

Post a Comment